HALDI PANEER



At times you want to do a particular thing but for a hundred reasons or for unknown reasons you don’t do it. Well haldi ki sabzi is that dish which I wanted to try for a long time but couldn’t bring myself to prepare it.

During my three years stay in Jodhpur I had a wonderful time exploring Rajasthani culture, festivals and food. Due to my close interaction with some local friends I was able to know more about rajasthani food culture. But amazingly I missed on this one dish, haldi ki sabzi, until recently I prepared it. I discovered that haldi ki sabzi is my favourite rajasthani sabzi till date. I liked it so much that I prepared it a couple of times more for my guests.



Preparation of this dish takes a bit of time as the fresh grated haldi needs to be sauted on low heat for 30 to 45 minutes depending on the quantity. Believe me , every bit of this labour is worth it. In Rajasthan this sabzi is prepared in bulk for one time, stored in refrigerator and used as required.

Quantity of ghee (clarified butter) required for this dish is equal to the quantity of haldi (turmeric).

Reducing the amount of ghee may cause turmeric to stick to bottom. I realised that enough quantity of ghee makes the process a little easy. Nothing to worry about that extra ghee. It gets separated at the end of preparation and it can be removed easily with help of a ladle. The turmeric flavoured ghee can be used for tempering a dal or smear it on chapatti, roti or phulka.

Generally in Rajasthan Haldi ki sabzi is prepared with green peas. The yellow and green sabzi looks beautiful. Here is a little twist to the traditional Haldi ki sabzi.  Paneer (cottage cheese) compliments haldi very well.


Recipe for Haldi Paneer


Ingredients for Haldi Paneer



  • 250gms fresh haldi or turmeric (grated)
  • 250gms ghee (clarified butter)
  • 150gms paneer (cut into cubes)
  • ½ cup onion (finely chopped)
  • ½ cup curd (beaten)
  • 8 to 10 cloves garlic (crushed)
  • 2 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • Salt to taste

How to make




Add ghee in a medium hot pan. Add the crushed galic. Sauté for a minute.



Tip in the grated haldi. Reduce heat to low.



Sauté on low heat until turmeric changes colour from yellow to light brown and the ghee separates from sides. Remember to sauté continuously as it tends to stick to the bottom.



Add onions. Saute for 2 minutes.



Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt. Mix well.



Now add beaten curd and mix well.



Sauté continuously for 5 minutes until the ghee starts floating at the surface.



Tip in the paneer cubes and cook for another 5 minutes.

Delicious Haldi paneer is ready to eat. This sabzi can be prepared in bulk and stored in refrigerator for entire winter (minus the paneer). Heat the required quantity from refrigerator and add paneer or peas or any other vegetable of your choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment